Tonight I talk about one of the more recent staple genres in the industry. The Harem anime where one seemingly normal high school male is the center of affection from at least five main attractive women. This one genre is responsible for more eye rolls by women viewers, and probably more male viewers watch them than what would probably admit in forums. It is called the male fantasy of anime, and the word fantasy could probably not describe a genre better because they possibly could not be anything but fantasy. I’m going to look at several harem anime problems f and discuss why this is something of pure fantasy.
I have seen quite a few harem shows since I started watching anime, because I think the genre is hilarious and I find it to be somewhat intriguing to find out what antics they throw out to us next. Although how popular they are is somewhat disturbing due to the frequency they release them. Although half of the time I find I’m telling myself “yeah right…” to half of the details that lay the possibility of having five girls always surrounding one guy.
Kaede and Rin cooking. Her dad is on year long business trip
6. The first detail is the mysterious absence of parents at all times. Now let me get this out of the way because I know their are exceptions like the Key Animation shows like Kanon, AIR TV and Clannad but nearly all of the shows the main guy and girl character have no parents at all. Now some shows go about by explaining like some tragic accident, a year long business trip or something of the sort. No parents at all and you have a girl living with you because she doesn’t have parents either.
5. The next one is one of my favorites. The main character has always been living with a younger (or portrayed as younger) sister who is not really his sister at all because she’s not blood related however they have been together for the past ten years, and they even see each other as siblings….until those hormones start flowing. (Da Capo Anyone?)
4. Next the girl who seems to be the “main” girl of the series always has had some tragic event happen to her in her past usually dealing with the main male character. She’s like a Martha Stewart that is always happy and cheerful and willing to do anything, but four years ago there was a fire and her house and family perished, or a car accident, or she was really sick at one time and almost died.
3. The mysterious ability of having all finances paid. These high school kids attend school, don’t work and somehow they are able always have money for meals that usually include ALL FIVE girls, field trips to the beach, camping, etc. Where do they get their money from? I want to know.
2. The girls seem to get along just fine while all five are rabidly competing over a the same guy. They all want him they all know that and somehow instead of one knifing the other they all get along and understand that they all love him and each girl should get their own chance without interference from the others. Yeah right like they won’t get jealous of each other.
1. The main one and is often the whole reason why the harem genre is considered to be the favorite anime series of “That Guy” you know the stereotypical guy that everyone believes watches anime, greasy long hair, glasses, overweight, bad hygiene, no social skills etc. is the the horde of five teen beauties flocking over a normal guy for no reason except maybe he’s nice. The most hilarious being all the girls would rather be single if they couldn’t go out with the main character.
Yes I know it was six reasons which is odd number but I figured it was okay. What do you guys think of the harem genre useless genre full of fanservice, genre that has had some funny shows but is growing stale? Let me know